St. Agnes Serves
Matthew 5:16 - In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven.
St. Agnes students and staff take pride and find joy in answering God’s call to serve others. Some projects are done annually, while others are planned as needs arise.
- Penny Push: Each year, the school hosts a penny push with proceeds benefiting local charities. Each class has a penny jar and students are challenged to see which class can save the most during the course of the year. The winning class earns a pizza party. Charities benefited: Local library, Humane Society, Festival of Hope (assistance for Cancer patients), Ronal McDonald House, United Way, an alumni who was studying for priesthood, Be the Match (bone marrow match program) and more.
- Young @ Heart: St. Agnes students provide decorations and entertainment for the parish Young @ Heart group. This group is made up of retired parishioners, who meet for lunch on a monthly basis.
- Christmas Service:
Hot dog Feed: 4th & 5th grade students host this annual event to raise money for the Tree of Love program, a program which provides Christmas gifts to needy children in the Scottsbluff community. Students prepare and serve the hotdog lunch to the entire school to raise the funds. They take these funds to a local retailer and shop for individual children, working to fill their Christmas wishes.
Gifts for Grandpas & Grandmas
Each year at Christmas, Pre-K and kindergarten students adopt grandparents from the Veteran’s home tree. The students are challenged to do a chore at home that will earn them $1-$2. They then bring their money to school to combine with their fellow classmates. The students take the money raised to a local retail store and purchase the wishes of these “grandpas and grandmas.”
- Catholic Schools Week Service Project
Each year during Catholic Schools Week, the school chooses a local organization that needs support. Students/families are asked to bring items that these individual groups need including: socks, underwear, hygiene products, pet supplies, canned goods, non-perishable items, etc.
Charities benefited include: DOVES Shelter, Foster Closet, CAPWN, Humane Society,
- Jump Rope for Heart: Students Pre-K-5th grade take part in the Jump Rope for Heart event every 2 years. Funds are raised to benefit the American Heart Association, while students learn about the importance of living a heart healthy lifestyle. Students have raised over $20,000 for this organization in recent years.
- Student Council Projects: St. Agnes Student Council was formed in 2017. This group works to serve the school, parish and local community. The group did weekly trash clean-up, hosted 2 family nights, delivered Premiere catalogs, hung Penny Carnival posters, organized the school t-shirt sales, raised funds for Hurricane Harvey victims, raised funds to replace playground balls and more.
- Community Outreach:
- creating cards and small gifts for the shut-ins of our parish
- creating valentines for the residents of the local Veterans Home
- providing entertainment at local nursing homes
Over the years, St. Agnes students and staff have answered God’s call to help victims of natural disasters and the less fortunate. Projects our school has supported include:
- Raising funds to build latrines at the school of our sister parish in Haiti
- Raising funds to help victims of Hurricane Katrina & Harvey
- Raising funds to help schools in Louisiana purchase new library books after severe flooding